Friday, February 21, 2014

What a Coach Really Is

         When Mrs. Wallentine first asked me what a coach was, I could only think of one thing: a person who teaches others. I didn't go into much detail. I didn't realize that a coach was much more. This past week, I've gained knowledge about what a coach really is.
          We did an activity where we shared the way we eat an Oreo. Do you eat the cream first, then the cookie? Or do you add peanut butter for extra taste? Surprisingly, each person in the classroom had a different technique. Now, think of the different coaches and teachers and leaders you've had. Were they all alike? Or was one a "cream first, then cookie" kind of person and another a "peanut butter" type?
          Every coach is different just like how each person is different. One may be more knowledge-based. They are experienced and work around facts for success. Others may be more facilitative. They care more about individual success and learning along the journey. Both are effective and not one is better than the other.
          Next time you think of what a coach is, I hope you can think of more than just a person who teaches others.

No comments:

Post a Comment